Preventative Dentistry » Routine Dental Examination
Routine dental appointments for adults and children are essential to maintain good oral health and a happy smile. A standard dental check-up is carried out by an experienced, qualified dentist and is the best way to spot any problems in and around your mouth before they become serious. Routine dental appointments are usually carried out every six months but we will advise you on how often you need a regular check-up.
What happens at a routine dental check-up?
If it is your first appointment at the practice, we will take a full dental and medical history, and then:
- Thoroughly examine your teeth, gums and mouth.
- Take X-rays if necessary.
- Discuss any dental problems you may have had since your last visit.
- Discuss general health and dietary issues that can affect your teeth and gums – such as alcohol consumption or smoking.
- Discuss your teeth-cleaning habits, such as brushing technique, and recommend any improvements such as interdental brushes or flossing as required.
- Explain any further treatment you may need, such as fillings, root canal treatment or hygienist appointments.
- Provide you with a full treatment plan.
- Answer any questions you may have regarding your treatment and what options are available.
- If you require no other treatment, your dentist will let you know when you should come for your next routine check-up.
- Maintain good oral health
- Spot problems early
- Prevention is better than cure